2015!

Roleplay Brainstorming

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly, if I need to move this someplace else I will...

Now... This will be where we think over everything I just didint want to litter up the CBOX with logistical things. SOOZ here we go. Remember to be respectful of all ideas because they are all important.

Last edited by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I)

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Re: Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 am

Dude, I was actually taking the Clans from Vampire: The Requiem! Man, minds thinkin' alike 'n' shit.

But yeah, the Bloodlines thing I totally agree with. The clans are more a blanket form for the Bloodlines, which intermingle with each other, combining strengths and weaknesses. Also, just a thought, brainstorming, y'know.

Also, what about something like the Innistrad block vampires? I don't remember too much about them, but you might, Murdoch. All I remember about Innistrad is Liliana unleashed an angel and a demon while Garruk looked for her so he could beat her until she lifted his curse.
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:27 am

Don't you guys think you're making them a little two complicated. While, yes, we do need a way to determine the attributes of the characters in order to make them not-Op, but you guys could possibly confuse people out of playing vampires. Also, to determine each bloodlines attribute before the play seems a little time consuming especially since you are basing these set off of something in pop culture. Do you intend on doing this for werewolves too? Seems a little too time consuming.

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 am

Hey, man, it's a brainstorm. We're tossing around ideas. Pretty much everything we decide for any race'll be based on something pop culture-y.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 am

Exactly; what else would we base it off of? We need some rules for the different species to ensure than everybody is on the same page. What I was thinking was the following:

For example, Vampires.

You have the term "Vampire," but within that you have three different sub-types that have different characteristics and strengths/weaknesses, each with their own histories and prejudices (for example, Dracula vampires distrust and look down on Nosferatu, and Nosferatu see Dracula Vamps as conceited and arrogant. That sorta thing) and within those types would be different factions, much like the "Left" and the "right" in modern politics. Maybe have a council of three elected representatives to govern the Vampires as a whole...and with Werewolves, have a similar thing. After all, no species is going to be completely unified or the same. Look at the variation within humans, for chrissake, haha.

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 am

What I meant was you're making it too complicated. We need to get this roleplay going. There can be a basis for each character type, but the problem is it takes too much time and you are leaving nothing for other to decide for themselves.

Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 am

These are just suggestions, Faithykins...I'm not saying we have to do this or I won't play, this is just me saying "I think we should put some basic rules for the species, so everybody is on the same page." *shrug*. If you don't like me doing that, then I'll stay quiet. These are just ideas. That's the point of a brainstorm.

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am

I just know some people like things more simple, Mumu. I think we should determine the basics and go from there. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the extra fluffy stuff so I know others must be. I'm not saying keep quiet, I am just asking you keep it closer to minimum than maximum

Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:47 am

I get that, which is why I'm saying that a few races will only have a few subtypes....it lets us have rules, but gives people flexibility. Best of both worlds! Very Happy Obviously some species will just be a blanket "This is what they can do," and others will be a bit more varied. Smile As for the organisation, yeah, sometimes I get ahead of myself, but I prefer writing down ideas as they come to me so I don't forget them later, heh.

Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm getting lost and confused. Maybe I'll let you all make the decisions and if you really need my input, call by name, but otherwise I'm kinda lost so I trust you guys to come up with something and no matter what I'll join because you have a base that I like down already. =) You're some of the best roleplayers I've had the luxury of playing with so I know that from here-on whatever you plan will be awesome and fun ^.^

Hey Alix!!! Great to see you again!

Running wolf
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:34 pm

I agree with everything Faith said.

So how are we determining what species we're using? I like the list Zalgo made a page back.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Oh, that's not a complete list. I can think of so many more. Aasimar, Tieflings, Catfolk, Kitsune, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Dhampir, Fetchlings, Orcs, Gnomes, Halflings, the list goes on and on and on.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm

I think we should probably keep the list to a minimum for now; maybe four or five, plus humans?

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Well then, we'll stick to the basics. Werewolves, Vampires, Changelings, Mages, and Humans then expand from there.
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Is a mage like.. a magical human?

Excuse my ignorance

Running wolf
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah, like a wizard or a sorcerer or a druid or a cleric or a whatever else uses magic. I consider them a different race from normal humans since normal humans aren't "awakened" to magic.
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am

Good, basic species down. If anyone wants to add something, given they're actually going to be it lol, than of course that's welcome as well.

Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 am

I'm fine with those, yeah Smile So...do we make blanket rules for them, or have a few sub-types that have different characteristics and abilities?

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 am

For Changelings at the very least, I would like the "6 Seemings, 10-13 Kiths per Seeming" to be in effect. I know it's a lot of things, but I believe we can handle it. Besides, I don't think many people 'sides me will wanna play a Changeling, so it'd be rather inconsequential. 'Course I dunno what the others're thinkin', so I'll hold on to those Seemings and Kiths for if anyone wants me to extrapolate later.

(On a side note, I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that Changelings are badly harmed by Cold Iron. All of 'em, Beasts, Darklings, Elementals, Fairest, Ogres, and Wizened, just murdered by Cold Iron.)

Vampires can be more or less blanketed together with similar powers and weaknesses. Same goes for Werewolves. Those two're easy to hold to a standard based on what we know about each. Vamps are weak to Sunlight, Werewolves are weak to Silver, the usual.

The big game changer, I feel, would be Mages. There're tons of practitioners of magic, i.e. Enchanters, Evokers, Abjurists, Diviners, Oracles, Mystics, Wizards, Sorcerers, Alchemists, Witches, Summoners, Thaumaturges, Pyromancers, Necromancers, Cryomancers, Electromancers, Druids, Clerics, Bards, Shamans, Warlocks, Theurgists, Magi, Illusionists, the list goes on and on. I wouldn't want to disallow someone from being any form of these due to their great diversity, but I also know not all will be used. I just don't entirely know what to do with Mages.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:22 am

I think, Zalgo, that we could make do with three major types of Changeling. I know you think we can handle it, but a lot of people here have already expressed a desire to keep it simple. In order to meet them halfway, I think three is an acceptable number to add variety, but not too much complexity. Besides, having 6 Seemings and 13 kith for Changelings, and then ONE type of Vampire makes it seem like you're trying to make Changelings the dominant race in this RP.

I would say choose three or four types of changeling, and keep it at that. As you say, only you are going to be definitely playing changelings, so why make hundreds of the damn things for people to keep track of, when they're - as you say - inconsequential? Why not just have three types that people can glance at the reference sheet and say "Ah yes, ok," and then use the space provided to give options to people playing other species?

Long story short, I think we should decide on 2-4 sub types for each species, and not go too mental. So I would suggest picking three or four "types" of changeling that you would like to see included, and then we move on to deciding different variants for the Weres and Vamps. With the Vampires, we have quite a few different types to choose from, so that shouldn't be hard (I think the Dracula style Vampire is a given, and it could be interesting to include Nosferatu in there as well, though the third choice is somewhat ambiguous; maybe just have the two) whereas the Were's are extremely easy; just have the Were's different strains be different animals, so you have Werewolves, Werebears and Werelions, for example. Not a definitive list, but it's an example.

As for Mages...I reckon we should go for how things like Fire Emblem splits it up; Anima, Light and Dark magic. Anima focuses on nature, like lightning and fire and water and whatnot, Light focuses on beams of holy light, banishing spells, healing and support spells, whilst Dark magic focuses on manipulating shadows and darkness, summoning undead, etc etc. Give them each their own strengths and weaknesses, obviously...but it keeps things varied AND simple for each race.

Just my thoughts. I think that your idea for such a huge variety of Changelings is way too complicated and largely unnecessary. Why not just have 2-4 types and call it at that?

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:39 am

I mean, yeah, 2-4 types is great, I'd agree to that if I knew which types everyone'd want the most. Darklings are a must, especially Darklings of the Mirrorskin and Nightsinger Kiths, perhaps Lurkgliders, Moonborn, or Antiquarians. Fairest would fill in the beauty aspect with Draconic Kith, Dancer Kith, Polychromatic Kith, an Bright One Kith. Ogres would fill in a heavy brawler aspect, primarily Bloodbrutes, Gargantuans, Gristlegrinders, and Stonebones, maybe Witchtooths. Beasts'd take the animals Werewolves don't cover and give them more humanoid forms, Coldscales for reptilians, Skitterskulks for insects, Venombites for venomous creatures, Windwings for birds, those kinda things. Wizened'd be the workers, Miner Kith, Brewer Kith, Smith Kith, Soldier Kith, Gameplayer Kith, those types of things. Elementals'd cover... Well, Elementals. Y'know, Airtouched for Wind, Fireheart for Fire, Snowskin for Ice, Waterborn for Water, Blightbent for Pollution, the usual and not so usual.

I'm not so good at deciding on what types of Changelings to leave out, not to mention the rare occurrence of Dual-Kith Changelings, which only make up around 5% of the Changeling population. Maybe I'm just being stubborn, I dunno.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 am

I know that culling things out is difficult sometimes, but really...look at the four archetypes that you think need to be filled; The Brawlers, the thinkers, the tinkerers and the sneakers. Think what type of Changeling would best fit each description, and include those. It's difficult to do, but you're the one who knows the most about these things, so it's up to you.

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 am

Alright, Alright. I'm gonna include 2 for each and try to balance it out. I can try to think of more variation for the other types as well, like for Mages do magic more like Mage: the Awakening and put Paths, one for Enchanters, one for Necromancers, one for Shamans, one for Warlocks, one for Theurgists. For Vampires, we could expand on the Bloodlines idea a bit to add variety. Werewolves could be tossed into Lycanthropes and include other Were-creatures.

Brawlers: Gristlegrinder Ogre, Draconic Fairest
    Thinkers: Gameplayer Wizened, Nightsinger Darkling
    Tinkerers: Smith Wizened, Bloodbrute Ogre
    Sneakers: Mirrorskin Darkling, Shadowsoul Fairest

I narrowed it down the best I could. Elementals and Beasts aren't all that needed, I suppose. since they're covered by Mages and Werewolves respectively.
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 am

I am just going to let you guys decide on the changeling matter, but I must stress simplicity.

One question however before I head to bed. As I stated a page or so back, I am interested in playing a half human/half something character. So... How do shapeshiffters fit into all of this?

I still need to do brainstorming on my character, but I wanted to fit this in here because we are talking about all of this. I don't know if my questions need to be held until after or what.

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 am

Mirrorskin Darklings are shapeshifters with the stipulations that they must stay humanoid, can't change into a person they've never seen, and can't use any, like, claws or horns or teeth in combat. They're just for show.

For other types of Shapeshifting, Lycanthropes are all shapeshifters. Certain Mages, primarily Shamans, I believe, shapeshift. Vampires can turn into bats/clouds of mist/wolves/certain other forms depending on the vampire. We could attempt to integrate Kitsune, Doppelgangers, or something similar. What were you thinking of, exactly?
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:34 am

Zalgo:

I'm thinking that you should probably narrow it down even more. I know it's hard, but look hard at the species you chose, and decide which ones are covered by other creatures. I mean...you still have eight different types there, which is still a little excessive. If you want, I can just pick one of the two randomly and we can go with that. I think...looking at it,

Brawler: Gristlegrinder Ogre
    Thinker: Darkling (since you said you wanted Darklings included)
    Tinkerer: Smith Wizened (since we passed up the wizened earlier, and we already have an Ogre)
    Sneaker: Shadowsoul (since we already have a darkling sub type).

Does that look acceptable? I'm just mindful of including too many species. This is not a definitive list - we can always add more later, after all - but I think that's enough to start with. It could be a plot point later that there are more Changeling species arriving from the Fae world in dribs and drabs, and these species could be the only ones who have a sizeable enough community to really matter. As I say; there's no reason that those four have to be the only species around, just the four main ones.

Faith and Zalgo:

Half breeds should be ok, if you can think of a reason they would be around, but what do you mean by Shapeshifter? We could throw Werewolves in with a new archetype called "Shapeshifter," which includes both involuntary and voluntary transformations. That would give us a gap to include what Faith wants, after all Smile As Zalgo says, werewolves are shapeshifters, so....hmmm....in terms of Shapeshifter, we could have Lycanthropes - which can be a variety of animals - we could have Doppelgangers and we could have things like Kitsune as well. I wouldn't class Vampires or Mages as dedicated shapeshifters, since that's more of a secondary ability with limited utility. I imagine shapeshifters to be ones that use it as their primary ability....maybe we would even remove the ability to shapeshift into animals from the Vampires and Mages, just to give the shapeshifters something unique to them. Or, we just make one of the subtypes of Mage a Druid, which is unique in Magic as the only "Path" that can shapeshift, but only for a limited time, and their form is less powerful than a dedicated Shapeshifters? Just to give some balance. Smile

As for Bloodlines, that would pretty much be the three different types...but we would want them to be different enough that there was actually a variation in their playstyles. For example, Dracula Vamps don't get killed by sunlight (but get weakened to human levels, so in sunlight they are effectively human) and aren't bothered by crosses or holy water, but silver hurts them, and anything through the heart can kill them....but Nosferatu are slightly more traditional, being nocturnal and not liking running water, but having different strengths to Dracula Vamps; Dracula Vamps are better at blending in, but Nosferatu tend to be stronger and more agile. That sorta thing.

As for Mages, if we have three archetypes - referring to different "Schools" of magic - that are then split into two "paths," that could provide enough variety without being complicated. So, the Dark Magic School is split into "Shaman" and "Necromancer;" Shamans are more direct with shadow manipulation and whatnot, whereas Necromancers are more focused on raising the dead and using them to fight. That sorta thing Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 pm