2015!

Roleplay Brainstorming

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly, if I need to move this someplace else I will...

Now... This will be where we think over everything I just didint want to litter up the CBOX with logistical things. SOOZ here we go. Remember to be respectful of all ideas because they are all important.

Last edited by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I)

Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Re: Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Burn It on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes to all the above, especially the setting that Faith posted. Fits perfectly.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:28 pm

That sounds like an interesting idea to incorporate into the setting....kinda a market for the supernaturals to get their everyday supernatural needs. So that could be an interested area of the underground, though I don't think it should be ALL of the underground; if we're going for an entire world underneath the human world, it would make sense if the Market were only, like, a specific sector of the underground....so you would have the market area, you would have residentials, you would have areas where crime is more common or even the norm, you would have the slums and the wealthier areas....and then you would have supernaturals who only go down there if they need something, since they have homes in the human world. After all, there will be certain species that can hide easier than others. Besides, there will always be black markets and illegal dealers, and there will always be various streetgangs and crime syndicates looking to take advantage, and it would certainly help incorporate the faction aspect into the RP.

Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Oh no the market wouldn't be the entire Underground for the reason you just stated. Just sort of like, a hub. Downtown would be to us as the market would be to them.

What else is there to decide?
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Hmm....well, the obvious thing to decide is how far the faction aspect actually goes. Will the faction aspect just be underground organisations vying for power and trying to survive, will they be factions with actual influence in the human world, will there be a faction of humans hunting or policing the supernaturals, or will there just be little streetgangs? Or will there be a mixture of all of them? We should probably decide on the major factions at play before starting, so everybody is on the same page. After that, we probably need to think of whether there are any species that we're going to ban, and any rules we're going to implement in terms of character creation or species creation....so are we going to have a specific type of Vampire, allow people to make their own vampires or just ban vampires altogether? That sort of thing.

Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Oh boy. Well I'm glad you guys managed to sort that mess out before I came on. A true sign of majority is being able to do that. I can't imagine it would have been so easy 3 years ago.

I guess we're starting in a big city. No problem with that =) I miss the forest style but city is fine.

Thanks, Murdoch, that would be helpful ^.^ I knew you'd like that task.

Running wolf
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:59 pm

I don't really see why we have to ban species, but that's just me. I mean, if everyone could start thinking about what type of species they'd like to be based on the direction we're headed in that would be more than help - so we don't end up banning something that someone wants to be. The subspecies I think we should let the creator decide. I mean, if someone wants to be a vampire, nothing special or anything, just a generic vampire than we wouldn't need to be making subspecies, etc. If we encounter another we would just know that they're basically all the same. I hope Im making sense. But if someone wanted to be an.. Elf for example, you could have Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves (pardon my Skyrim references here) should this person choosing to be an elf decide to subspecies themselves. If not, we could simply call them an Elf.

I don't want to make things more complicated than need be. If someone should choose to be a particular type of something than it is there responsibility to make that clear. And maybe give us a jist of the other types, or somewhere we can find them? Should we choose to interact with people of our player's species, but different subspecies.

For the factions, I think it'd be cool to have it broken down into levels, both in the Real World and the Underground.

The Real World could have your lower street gangs, smaller units from organizations or a single leader (Mafia level type deal) , and then the big guns - military size power owned by obviously, the Military lmao, and the super power corporations. These levels can apply to ALL species. There could be human gangs, Elf gangs (how intimidating), etc. The upper levels could be mixtures of species employed by the same person/corporations. Survival wouldn't be in the same sense as the Underground, nor that Im sure it would be a factor at all - these are the lucky ones. I think the main goal would be ultimately power. Control. Over what Im not exactly sure.

The Underground I would think would only have the first two levels. Their goals would be designed towards both power and survival, as it takes one to get the other sometimes. Maybe their goal is to get enough of a reputation to be hired by those in the Real World, to get out of the Underground. As it is the place for those who weren't as lucky with integration.

Well there's my suggestions.
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:12 pm

I think my idea was misunderstood a little bit. If this isn't how majority rules. I am fine with it. I just want my picture to be clear.

The underground would in fact be split up into different sectors. The market being the main section of the underground, there are other areas like bars and other commodities. The good and the bad areas. The residential area however would be VERY small. This place would be set aside for the creatures that would be unable to go into the human world at all. These are the creatures that cannot go near humans without causing alarm.

All other species are forced to live in the human world. Taking residence in apartments, homes, some even in parks or subways. This is where the connection and interest from human governments and societies come from. Most live with humans and blend in with others.

I know it seems as if I have just repeated everything that Murdoch said, but the main point is specifically that the residential area is very small (or possibly spread about the underground) and most creatures live in the human world. They could possibly traverse to the underground for work everyday, illegal activities, or possibly they trade. I feel like there should be just as much work on the 'surface' as in the underground. Think of it like the Chinatown for creatures. Not everyone lives there, but a hellova lot of people go there, and work there. There is probably a lot of flexibility with that metaphor but EH

Al THLDI
    The Happy Latin Dutch Italian
    The Happy Latin Dutch Italian

Post by Al THLDI on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 pm

I might have to build a new bio for this.. not sure, but I'm in. I'll give a closer look to all this tomorrow though.

Blue Firefighter What ever was yesterday was history. What ever will be tomorrow does not exist. What ever is today, is now and is what determines anything. Tommy Gun

My Bio's
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:02 am

Ah, yes I misunderstood you at first Faith. Would you be open to maybe making the Underground a lot more vast than originally planned? I ask only because if this is a place where people come to survive and be safe, the populations of the supernatural I would assume to be huge. Massive even, and having them live in the Underground is because they have no way of working themselves into society. I completely agree however that some who are shunned should still above ground, because like you said how else would they get the attention from the human world.
    But instead of, in terms of population of those who are hiding, the populations being Underground
    Again, this is just my suggestion and obviously people can decide whatever they'd like. I'm easy (y) I'll fly with whatever gets chosen.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 am

I dunno, Kristie, Faith's idea seems pretty bitchin' in all honesty. Hiding in plain sight seems fun, and the more monstrous races, like if we choose to include things like lamias, driders, centaurs, or other such half-man half-animal creatures, could stay in the Underground's living places and have them be renovated to fit their body shape, while people like Elves, Dwarves, Changelings, Mages, Vampires, Werewolves, etc. could potentially live up in the Regular World, mingling amongst humanity. I really like it, honestly.
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 am

Well, why don't we merge the ideas? The Underground has residential areas for the more monstrous creatures or the ones who can't afford houses anywhere else, and the human-looking creatures live above ground. Why can't it be a mixture of the Harry Potter style wizarding world and the Troll market; hiding in plain sight, but the underground is more sprawling than just a market area? It would certainly make sense that these creatures would create a community where they could be themselves without fear of human eyes prying, after all.

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am

That's what I meant. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. The main section of the underground would be a market area just because trade had become so vast, but there are other sections that would house other things like bars, resturaunts, libraries, banks, places of worship... I think you get the point lol.

If a few (or all) wanted to have residence in the underground I feel that would be a detail upon creation of your character chart. Depending upon the situation your character finds themselves in (their race and whether they are Rich or poor) would determine whether or not you would pay rent in the underground or pay rent in the human world. (I was thinking that possibly the underground was a little more expensive to live in simply because of suppy/demand but that's a finer detail that probably doesn't matter that much right now)

While not being particularly small, I see the underground as not being large enough to fit ALL creatures, but the ones that, if not allowed to live in the underground would be hunted and killed.  I would assume, also, that some creatures, depending on their race, would want to be a part of human society and interact either for intellectual interest or survival. Not specifically because they were shunned from the underground (if I understood you correctly) Rambling again. Blegh.

Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am

Sounds good to me (y) Good that we have that established. Does anyone by chance know or have a good idea of which community theyre going to be more involved in? And if being part of some faction, like the three level style business?

Also, has anyone an idea as to what trigger(s) could have occurred to sort of set the RP in motion? Any level, any event. Doesn't really matter.
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Hehehe Harry Potter!

I think someone needs to write all this up to have it make sense to an outsider who hasn't been in this conversion just so it's a clear picture. Then we can pick where our characters belong and who they are

Running wolf
    Alix Labe
    The Toy Maker
    The Toy Maker

Post by Alix Labe on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello again! I have returned once I heard that you guys were deciding to do a new roleplay in hopes of bringing the site back from the grave. I have read some of the posts so far and can gladly say that I'd be more than happy to join in on the fun! Once all the details are straight I'll began to work on my Bio!

Last edited by Alix Labe on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm

So far, we have:

Urban Fantasy, where the creatures are hidden in plain sight. Most of them live in the human world, but some of them - through poverty or because their features are too monstrous to hide - live in an Underground residential area, which is split into a nice area and a slum. There are underground markets and businesses, alongside everything from basic streetgangs to media and economic companies that are vying for power and influence. That's all we have so far...

So. How do we lay out the major factions? Any ideas?

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:00 pm

The more traditional factions would be Werewolf Tribe(s), Vampire Clan(s), Changeling Court(s), Mage Coven(s), and some Mixed Species group(s). If we want to be different, we could avoid those ones, though. It's up to you guys.
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:08 pm

I've been thinking on factions and I can't really think of much, but my idea of a faction in this scenario would not be tribes per say (of course the race allegiances would come into effect on a characters personal level depending) Factions would be (this is just what I think) more like a certain trading group that had started from the bottom and slowly, over the years they accumulated more people to work for them. This is only if we are centering our set around the trading bit.

Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I think we could have a mixture of factions; we would have groups that were very much "Traditional" us and them mentalities, like Werewolf packs that operated like streetgangs in the slums that were very much into the Old Ways, and you would have Crime Syndicates, you would have legal factions...just all sorts, really. Why specify that some don't exist, when they can all exist in a world and be competing against each other? Like, a wealthy commerce faction is having trouble because its major tradelane is being held up by a Werewolf gang, and none of its shipments are coming through, so it pays off a criminal syndicate to get rid of them...except then the Syndicate starts taking exploitative percentages to pay for "protection," and in reality the Syndicate manipulated the streetgang into that area in the first place in the hopes that the commerce company would pay the Syndicate to get rid of them. Little interactions like that that would help make the world a bit more interesting Smile

Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes. I like the way Murdoch explains it. My words do not explain things like I want them to.

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 am

Alright, lemme find some stuff that we add to the brainstorm for a few of the factions for species people are thinking of. The ones I'm thinking of for species are at least Changeling Seasonal Courts, Mages' Cabals, Vampire Covenants, Werewolf Tribes, Elven Families, and Dwarven Castes.

Then for non-species specific ones, we can have things like a Merchants' Guild, a Crime Syndicate, an Academic something-or-other, various gangs, a Creatures' Rights Group, potentially a terrorism group of some sort, although that might be too heavy.

What do you guys think?
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 am

Well, I think we need to sort out which species are being used first Wink We would also need to sort out the nature of the species-specific things and how they operate. For instance, you would imagine that the Werewolf Packs would be very aggressive and prone to fights, whereas Vampires would be a bit more subtle and indirect...perhaps the Vampire Cables would use Human Thralls to do their daytime dirty work? That's the other thing; we need to decide on the specific type of species we're using. For the example of Vampires, do we use the Anne Rice vampires, move towards the Darren Shan vampires - so daylight hurts them, but crosses, garlic and holy water have no effect - or would we use Bram Stokers original idea, so crosses, silver, holy water and garlic all repel the vampire, daylight doesn't kill them it just reduces them to the level of a human and the only way of killing one is to stake it throughh he heart and the decapitate them? So....what species would be involved, and what type of species? Or would we have different sub-types running around?

Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 am

With vampires, the way I'm used to them at the very least is there's around 5-6 different Vampire Clans, depending on the area. Daeva, the seductive vampires prone to giving in to their vices, Gangrel, the more savage, animalistic vampires that have difficulty dealing with humans and other non-vampires, Mekhet, the stealthy vampires who are prone to burning in the sun more-so than other vampires, Nosferatu, supernaturally terrifying monsters, some hideously deformed, others oddly unsettling, all finding difficulty socializing even with each other, Ventrue, the more regal vampires, similar to Dracula, and just as prone to insanity via power corruption, and Jiang-Shi, Chinese hopping vampires that can't control themselves without a type of warding charm somewhere on them, usually a token of some sort; coin, slip of paper, that kinda thing. They all share similar weaknesses, such as burning in sunlight, wooden stakes putting them into a stasis that causes their body to deteriorate, fire being horrible for them, and silver, which they share with werewolves.
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 am

Two things this morning before I head off. 1.) Zalgo when you said Chinese hopping vampires I couldn't help but think about the grasshopper vampires in Sly Cooper 3 (if anyone has played the game) and I picture little Chinese dressed grasshopper vampires jumping all over the makers place while everyone else is like WTF. XD I just died laughing.

2.) I think I have pretty much decided that my character be a half breed human something mix. Who has only recently began venturing to the underground to find someplace to fit in. So she will be part of no faction at the beginning and delves more in to the human community at first rather than the underground.

...grasshopper vampires lol

Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 am

Zalgo:

I think it would be more interesting if we had several sub-types of Vampires, but have them have different physical characteristics and strengths and weaknesses to add more variety, rather than just a psychological difference. After all, people can't always be fit into little boxes, and having those different "attitudes" kinda restricts people in the characters they can play. So I was thinking more of a Vampire: The Masquerade approach, where different bloodlines have different strengths, weaknesses and features. I think that would add more to the RP than just having different attitudes. You can still have the different "sects" within the bloodlines that have specific drives and personality types...so the second part of that paragraph, yes, but the first half...probably tone that down. Why can't you have a perfectly civilised Nosferatu? Saying that all nosferatu have to be animalistic, supernatural beasts is kinda racial stereotyping, isn't it? Wink As for the Chinese Hopping Vampires...you would have a hard time making them serious, wouldn't you? I mean, that's why they don't turn up in films very often. They just look a little bit silly rather than menacing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 am