Waisenlied (Mireya and Engi)

Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Waisenlied (Mireya and Engi)

Post by Mireya on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Alright, my darling. You know your cue, and you know the prompt. ^_^
    My name for this story will be Nadine. The setting is Rural Germany in, say...the late 1800s?

---

The bitter cold bit at Nadine's face and the bitter streaks defiantly staining her rosy cheeks did nothing to help. Neither did the coarse wool scarf pulled up almost to her nose. She was not happy, walking along the snow-covered gravel path, hand in hand with a man she did not know. This place terrified her, but the future terrified her all the more.

Her life was ending and beginning anew. She had seen but eight winters, but now she was going to be shacked up with a bunch of strangers, and made to live in a world without family. She sniffled softly, staring at the ground and digging in her feet a little more with each step.

She was not wealthy, only the daughter of a factory worker and his wife whose dreams were to emigrate to America. Their dreams would not be realized now. No. Not when they were selfish enough to die in a fire that nearly claimed Nadine's life as well. Her strawberry blond hair was scorched short in places, but she could not pretend to care.

She looked up at the grey edifice of the looming orphanage. She had never seen anything so pitiful. It was large but quite run down, and she could hear the incessant buzzing of children probably her own age. She didn't want to see them. She wanted her mother...

They plodded up to the front gate and the social worker knocked at the door.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Re: Waisenlied (Mireya and Engi)

Post by Engi on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Engi let go of Nadine's hand and ran through the group of beds. Some we made but, most were not. A few of the beds had torn dolls and ripping blankets, while others had finished puzzles and wooden statues. Some children were sitting on their beds playing quietly by themselves, but Engi did not introduce them. They payed no attention to Nadine and Engi.

Engi ran up to a small bed, its dirty sheets were folded neatly on them and it was empty. "This one, this one is yours." She said with a huge smile on her face. "I'm over there," She said, pointing to a bed with a ripping bear on it. "And that one is Annabella's." She said, pointing to the one next to it. "You are right next to Jordan's bed and Alice and Austin's bed." She continued, nodding. "Be super careful, Jordan snores real loudly. He sounds like a bear!" She said, giggling.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:37 pm

"Okay," she said sitting on her bed. It was dusty. The whole room was. The others were still away preoccupying themselves with whatever mischief would take them away from the monotony of the day by day. It didn't matter. She was happy. She glanced from her own bed to the one on which the tattered animal lay.

"I like your bear," she said with a small smile.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:22 pm

"Oh?" She asked, looking over at her own bed. "Thanks!" She exclaimed, running over and grabbing it off the bed. Its fur was patched in a few spots, ripped in others. It had only one eye left and its arms were threatening to fall off. Its ears were obviously gnawed and beyond repair. "He was my best friend before you came. But he does not talk much. Thats alright though, cuz now I got you!" She said, sitting on the girls bed with the bear in her lap.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Nadine smiled looking at the little bear and decided quietly that she was going to surprise Engi with it sooner than later, but she'd need the proper tools first. She laughed mischievously.

"So..."she said, lingering on the word awkwardly as she tried to avoid the probable awkwardness from her question. "How long have you been here?"
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

"Auhm..." Engi thought for a moment, seemingly staring off into space. She counted up until she couldn't count anymore, then started making up numbers in her head. "A lot of days. I kept count though, wanna see?" She asked, sitting up in the bed. "I got a chart, ya see. It got alla the days I been here counted out real well." She nodded, standing up really tall. "I'm a get real good parents when they come. Then Ill be able to show them how long I been waitin for em!"
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Nadine smiled, regretting having asked but very enjoying the way she answered. She decided she would do something like that herself. She decided that was quite enough of that subject and looked over at her with a grin.

"Wanna play a game?"
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Engi sat back down on the bed and looked at the girl. She smiled as big as she could and nodded. "I love games, ya see, but no one ever wants to play em with me." She said, clapping. "What games are we gunna play??"
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 pm

"Um," she mumbled..."Scavenger hunt," she said with a little grin. "I'll make you a list of stuff to get me, and you make me a list of stuff to get you, and whoever gets everything first and comes back here wins," she said grinning wide with mirth.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Engi thought for a moment about what she wanted Nadine to get. She had to be practical, only getting things she knew the girl could find. And it would be a good opportunity to have her look around on her own a bit. "Alright, what do I find for you?" She asked, pulling her legs onto the bed and smiling at the girl.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 pm

"A needle," she began..."some thread, some scissors, a button, but not from somebody's shirt," she chuckled. "A pillow and a story book," she said just throwing the last couple in.
    "Now what do you want me to find?"
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

"Amm..."She thought for a moment, tapping her finger against her knee. She thought of all the rooms which they had access to and that she would be able to find without any trouble. "A cup, a pointy red stick, a dead rolly bug, a ripped bow, and a dirty old screw." She said, nodding after a moment. "I'll find your stuff first, I promise." She said, hopping off the bed.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Nadine murmured softly, "I know..." and hopped off the bed to put up some effort. She would find the things that she had a feeling Engi wanted more than the others...The ripped bow was fairly high on the list. The rest, she would find if they were easy to find. The cup and a loose screw shouldn't be so hard. She wasn't sure about the pointy, red stick, but it sounded specific so she was sure that Engi knew what it was she was looking for. She didn't really want to kill a rolly polly though.

She hopped off the bed and padded off quietly and carefully.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 am

"A needle... string... pillow.. story... button... Um, something else. Scissors." She nodded. "A string first. A string, a string, a string.." She muttered over and over, crawling between the beds looking for it. There was mostly dust and bits of cloth here and there, but nothing that would count as thread.

"A string..." She crawled over to her bed and pulled a lose string from the top blanket, pulling it until it was long enough to count as thread then she bit it to break it. "A string." She nodded, rather proud of herself. "Now, a needle."
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:14 am

"If I were a ripped bow...I would be..." in the rubbish bin was the first thing to spring to mind, however, in a place like this such a thing would probably still be precious. She looked back behind the beds, wondering if maybe one might have fallen, but she didn't see one immediately. She ducked down and started looking under the beds and she grinned in victory. Under the bed in the far corner was a small ribbon. It was dusty and a little torn on one side, but she could still see the red in its fibers.

"Cup cup cup," she said turning and bounding down the stairs.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 am

Engi just sat and stared at the bed. "Needle needle needle..." She murmured, then got up and sat on her bed. "Needle needle needle..." She tugged lightly at her hair and stared at the ground. "Who would have a needle..." She thought, tapping her feet together. "Alright, I cant give up yet!" She jumped up and ran to the bathroom, shutting the door tightly behind herself. She pulled out all the drawers and looks around the brushes and hair ties. Nothing.

Engi rubbed her temples angrily, thinking as hard as she could. "Needles needles needles..." She muttered, looking around the restroom. She glanced at the mirror then got an idea, pulling it back carefully. Behind it there were medicines and such that Miss had told them to never touch. But that was alright, it was for a game. She climbed onto the sink and looked through all the things for a needle until she came upon one. It was dirty and obviously not used very often, but good enough.

She quietly closed the cabnet and jumped down from the sink, looking at the needle closely. "Pillow next!"
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am

She peeked down the stairs, trying her utmost not to be seen by anyone important and trotted off through a closed door. She knew if she wandered enough down here she would certainly find the kitchen, and with that she would find the cup. That turned out to not be necessary however, as she found a half empty cup sitting on the table. It smelled foul. She knew that smell. It was alcohol. She didn't even want to know whose it was. She ran to a window and dumped out the foul smelling liquid.

"An old screw..." she chirped, happier than she thought she'd be to play this little game.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 am

"Ev'rybudy gotsa pillow." She murmured, placing the needle on her bed, next to the think piece of string. "Where'm I gonna get a pillow." She asked herself, looking around. Each bed had one dusty old pillow, and she knew that she couldn't take one from anyone.

"I bet theres an extra in da closet." She nodded to herself, walking over to a dusty and unused room. A few extra blankets for when it got really cold and a few extra pillows were there, all ratty and old and covered with dust. She picked up a small one, patting it down as dust flew everywhere. She coughed and brought it out, placing it next to the others.

"Umm... Scissors.." She murmured, going over the list again in her head.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:52 am

Nadine looked around carefully. She had to think very seriously where she would find one. There were probably a few places where loose screws would be, but she didn't want to pull one out and risk ruining something... She poked around, then thought about it and wandered outside. Maybe there was a toolshed...
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 am

"Scissors.... Button." She decided, pushing herself up. "A button that is not from someones clothing. A button..." She thought, staring at the door. She walked back into the 'play room' where all the children were sitting quietly. "A button a button a button..." She murmured quietly. "Alice, Austin, do you know where a button would be?" She asked and they looked up.

"Trash probably, cant do much with one of those." Austin replied, then lost interest in her and focused back on whatever he and Alice were doing.

"Alright." She said, skipping out to find a dirty old can filled with bits of trash. "Buttons buttons~" She sung to herself, pouring all the contents of the trash onto the floor. There was a light ping and a small grey button tapped on the ground. "Yay!" She declared. Engi set the basket on the floor and got up to put it with her other pile of treasure.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 am

Nadine poked around outside. It was still so cold out. She shivered, but kept walking. Surely if her mother were here, she'd have chided her, but she was not and she would not be. The rosy-nosed German girl peaked around the back of the house and found a tool shed off to the side. There just had to be a screw in there. She trotted up to the door, finding the lock old and rusty and quite unable to hold anything secure. With one quick push the door creaked open. She saw all sorts of tools whose uses she didn't completely understand...

She looked around on the shelves and barely noticed when her toe hit an old screw laying on the floor, heavy and leaden. She stifled a little scream then picked it up and hurried off inside lest she catch a horrible cold...

"A rolly poly," she said looking around.
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:20 am

"A story book and some scissors..." She thought, walking up to a room she usually wasnt aloud in. She knocked quietly, then pressed her ear up against the door. No reply. She quickly opened the door then squeezed in, shutting it safely behind her. "Missy will probably have a story book." She nodded, looking through the shelf. "But I'll have to return it." She thought, grabbing a book with a colorful spine then quickly exiting the room. No one had seen her, atleast thats what she though, so she ran back and put the book safely under her bed. "Scissors." She said, finally on her last item.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 am

Looking around at the snow covered ground, Nadine couldn't imagine how she would find a bug, dead or alive, out here. She walked inside carrying her peculiar bundle of stuff and looked around the dusty floor for the shell of one that had been stepped on long ago...
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 am

"Scissors scissors scissors...." She murmured, looking at her pile of things. "Oh who am I kiddin, there are no scissors here." She muttered, picking up a piece of wood. She began rubbing it against a sharp metal piece on her bed, making it sharp like a knife.
    Mireya
    Beastmaster
    Beastmaster

Post by Mireya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am

Nadine walked up the stairs and dropped the miscellaneous articles on her bed, before she noticed Engi.

"What are you doing?"
    Engi
    Devious Chibi
    Devious Chibi

Post by Engi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 am

"Imma gonna make my own scissors." She said, looking over at Nadine. She scrunched up her face. "You gone and finished already?" She asked, dropping her arms to her sides. "I got one more thing to do.." She crossed her arms angrily and set the sharp, knife-like stick on her small pile. "You win this time, but next time Imma pick super hard things for you to find!" She said. More children began climbing into their beds, a few already asleep.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content